12 oz NY Strip Steak (shown)
1.5 Cups of Brown Rice (serves 4)
4 Canned Whole & Peeled Tomatoes
1/2 Yellow Onion
1/2 Red Bell Pepper
1 Ts. Minced Garlic
2 Ts. Extra Virgin Olive Oil
1 ts. Kosher Salt
4-6 oz Snow Peas
Bundle of Cilantro
4 Cups of Water
1. Turn grill on high.
2. Wash and cut away fat around edges.
3. Coat with olive oil, add a pinch of salt to both sides, and set aside.
1. In a medium or large pot, heat 2 Ts. olive oil and 1 ts. of minced garlic on medium heat. Cook for 2 minutes.
2. Dice onion and red bell pepper.
1. Add tomatoes, red bell pepper, onion, and 1 ts. kosher salt to oil and garlic. Cook for 3 minutes stirring frequently to prevent mixture from sticking to pot.
*Tip: Use your hand to crush tomatoes as you put them in the pot.
1. After 3 minutes add brown rice and stir while it cooks for 1 minute.
**Caution do not allow rice to stick to pot.**
1. Add 4 oz of tomato juice, from can that was used, to the mixture and stir.
*This step may be skipped but it will give the rice an nice color.
1. Add water to rice, cover, and bring to boil under high heat.
2. Reduce heat to low heat, cover pot, and cook for 45 minutes. Check on the rice every 5 minutes and stir to ensure it doesn’t stick to bottom of pot.
1. Pinch, snap, and pull each end of snow peas to remove the string.
*This step is time consuming, (about 5 minutes) and is not required if the string doesn’t bother you.
1. Chop cilantro and set both aside.
1. Once rice has been cooking for 35 minutes at low heat, add cilantro and snow peas. Stir, cover, and cook for 10 minutes. Check rice every 2 minutes to ensure it does not stick to pot.
**You may need to add water if rice needs more cooking time. This is fine just add a little bit at a time (4 oz) or less.
1. When rice is complete, add NY strip to grill and cook for 3 minutes.
*Tip: Do not flip steak more than once.
2. Flip and grill for 2 more minutes.
*A 1 inch thick steak will be medium rare with aforementioned grilling times.
Prep Time: 10 min.
Cook Time: 45-55 min.